brier April 10, 2013 No Comments

The tax deadline is upon us!  If you have not filed yet, don’t worry, there are still things you can do to prevent yourself from getting penalties and causing yourself unnecessary stress.

The first thing you want to do if you don’t think you are going to make the deadline is to file for an extension.  They will give you an extra 6 months, roughly until mid-October to complete and file your tax return.  Doing this is very easy and takes only about 15 minutes, it is a lot better than scrambling to get it all done at the last minute and risk the possibility of costing yourself more money by not pacing yourself and making sure everything is accurate and every deduction you can make has been made.

To file an extension just follow these simple steps:

  1. Try to put together a quick idea of what you expect with your tax return so you know whether to plan on paying or to expect a refund.
  2. Download an Application for Automatic Extensions of Time To File U.S. Individual Tax Return.  (Form 4868).  You can obtain a copy here –  When completed mail this in with a check to the appropriate office.  We recommend doing this by way of certified mail to confirm its arrival and make sure it will be there on time.
  3. You can also file online, but make sure to do so before midnight on April 15, 2013. 

Try not to get overwhelmed with the stress of tax day.  By filing an extension you avoid penalties and give yourself plenty of extra time to get your return prepared and sent in to maximize your return and minimize what you owe.