If you have already read our past blog about pet safety during a hurricane you are aware of some of the most important steps to take in protecting your pets. In addition to that you can create a pet survival kit for your furry friends just like you would for yourself. Having these ready to go will make it a lot easier and save you a lot of stress and worry in the event of a hurricane, or any other disastrous weather that can hit.
Creating a pet survival kit is much like creating one for yourself. Some items that you want to have are:
- Water boxes with straws (2 weeks worth)
- Food and water bowls
- A pet first aid kit
- Food (2 weeks worth)
- Water purification tablets (50)
- Thermal blanket
- A few toys they would like
- Extra collars and leashes
- All of their documentation
- Proper ID and extra tags with up-to-date information
- Details about any behavioral/medical needs
- Photo of you with your pets
- Litter scoops, newspaper, bags and anything else you may need for taking care of waste
Never leave your pet and don’t use your pet as a reason as to why you cannot evacuate. If you are ordered to evacuate bring your pet survival kit and head to the nearest shelter that allow pets (they are hard to come by so have backup plans), a hotel or a friend or family members home. 80% that get displaced are not reunited with their homeowners. By taking all of these steps you will help keep your family together and your pets safe.
For more information about what is available in your area check out Pets Welcome. They have a great deal of information for keeping your pets safe and happy.
For some additional resources check out these links: