The holidays are here which means food, family, friends and fun! Especially the food right! If you plan to deep fry a bird this year, make sure your homeowner’s insurance is current because the amount of fires caused from deep frying turkeys is astronomical.
Allstate Insurance says claims jump up by 15% during the holiday season because of accidents associated with Thanksgiving. Fires caused by deep frying turkeys jumps up 300% this time of year, with the average insurance claim right around $29,000.
If you plan to deep fry a turkey follow these instructions to help keep yourself, your loved ones and home safe!
- Fryers should always be used outdoors, on a solid level surface a safe distance from buildings and flammable materials.
- Never use a fryer on a wooden deck, under a patio cover, in a garage or enclosed space.
- Do not overfill the fryer.
- Never leave the fryer unattended because, without thermostat controls, the oil will continue to heat until it catches fire.
- Never let children or pets near the fryer when in use or after use as the oil can remain hot for hours.
- Use well-insulated potholders or oven mitts and wear long sleeves and safety goggles to protect from splatter.
- Make sure the turkey is completely thawed before it is placed in a fryer.
- Keep all-purpose fire extinguishers nearby.
- If a turkey fryer fire occurs, call 911 immediately.
Check out this video from Allstate Insurance featuring William Shatner. It is a light-hearted (and comical) way to show you the dangers and why you need to use extreme caution when deep frying a turkey.